I have a few hirst arts molds used for casting up blocks to make terrain. Unfortunately these pieces tend to be heavy meaning a box of terrain needs to be a pretty solid box, and you needs to be an amateur heavyweight lifter to carry it around!

Nonetheless it occurred to me that the cobblestone floor tiles might make a good wall. The flat side would be the interior, and if the tiles were glued to paper the interior would have a wallpaper effect as well as helping glue the whole lot together. I also thought that if I take a modular approach I could make my own molds to cast whole wall sections at once. Alas with most of my “first projects” my enthusiasm kicked off like a runaway train and I just made a house instead. However, this did give me enough inspiration to start making walls and buildings from scratch,  but that’s another post altogether.

This first picture is the assembled pieces… as you can see carried away!! and forgot to take shots of the wall sections!

house_parts

This actually started as 4 complete walls, but I decided to make it a ruin instead, so hit the sections with a hammer (joys of using plaster!) and flipped the halves up to a second story. Each long wall section is was 5 floor tiles wide, 2 floor tiles high, and the building end walls are 4 tiles wide. For the windows and doorway I left out 1 tile or 1.5 tiles respectively. Tiles are Flagstone Floor Tile Mold #260 &

A ruined 1st floor was added with popstick/coffee stirrers. This sits on a couple of small blocks and is removable for easy access to models in the building. Technically this isn’t really needed as the model is a ruin and pretty open. However, as a test piece this helped me identify few tricks for a full on model. I also wanted to try out the hirst arts mold for wooden floors to see how it would look (The mold I have is no longer available but Inn Floor Mold #221 would suit) .  This is pretty plain and functional, so the next step is to add some texture to really make it look like a ruin.

Air drying clay was used to build up ares of rubble, and then rubble made from smashed up off cast pieces of previous plaster casting were added, along with some window sills, door frames, and miscellaneous timbers made from popsticks again. Finally a coat of sand is added around the base and amongst the rubble.

house_texture house_texture2

The final step of course is to paint it up. No step by step here, just the final pictures. Basically the whole model is painted black, then dry brushed grey. At this point the brown is added to the “dirt” areas. Then you just build up the layers of grey, getting progressively lighter. The next step is a brown “wash” is applied over the dirt areas, and the interior walls are painted (plain cream for this one). Finally black is dry brushed upwards from doors and windows, and along all the edges, and then a very light dry brush of grey. This simulates the ash from the fire that destroyed the building.

house_painted2 house_painted

With the floor removed so you can see some of the first floor interior detail.

house_floorout

I have subsequently added some grass and bushes around the edge as it looked a little too plain and some grass helped it blend in with the rest of the table I am building.

Advertisements